Thursday, January 04, 2007

day 455

I guess I'll be adding Prozac to my list of bad drugs.

After taking it for 20 years, it's finally decided it doesn't like me.

When the pain doctor increased the dosage to 40 mg daily, it was okay. When he bumped it up to 60 mg, things started happening. I remember my sister having these things happening to her - agitation, palpitations, insomnia - none of them very nice. I took myself totally off the Prozac at that point and stayed off it for almost a month.

A few days ago I started it again at the 40 mg dose.

WIthin 3 days I was agitated almost to the point of mania, had bad insomnia, was experiencing mild palpitations, and by yesterday I was shaking so badly that I couldn't push the numbers on the phone.

Needless to say, I've stopped taking it again.

For good.

It is a pity because it did help the pain, but there's nothing I can do about that. When the side effects are more influential than the assistance, it's not worth the bother.

Today I will resume my search for a counselor or psychiatrist. Our insurance isn't very good about this kind of stuff. They have a nice deductible and then they only cover 90% up to $2000; then you're on your own. I'm looking for one that will work with me on a sliding scale basis once the insurance tops out. It may take a while.

Other than that, things are pretty much status quo. I hope they stay that way if they're not going to get better.

No comments: