Tuesday, April 01, 2008

day 919

The new Methadone dose is working pretty well.

My sleep schedule is all screwed up but I guess I'm gonna have to live with that. I got a sample of Provigil but it's not FDA-approved for sleeping difficulty due to taking narcotics for chronic pain so the insurance says it won't pay. I'm going to appeal. It can't hurt. After all, I already don't have it. What can I lose?

They say to try Ritalin or Adderal or another stimulant. Yeah. That sounds like tons of fun.

On the upside the pain relief is decent enough I can do some sewing agian. That's nice.

Now it's time to fire the neurologist and get another one who doesn't think that just because I'm certifiably nuts I also have no pain issues at all. One doesn't necessarily mean the other.

I don't think they've figured that out yet.

1 comment:

M. said...

Did you know that Ritalin and amphetamines actually boost the pain relief you get from opioids (not even many doctors know this)? Modafinil doesn't do this, AFAIK. There are many drugs that act as narcotic adjuncts. I've written about quite a few of them in my book Reviving the Broken Marionette: Treatments for CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia, which also contains information about treating many other painful conditions, like neuropathic pain, myofascial pain, TMD, migraines and other headaches and chronic pain in general, as well as things like depression, PTSD and restless legs.

I do believe that your quality of life could be made a lot better with a less conventional approach to pharmaceutical treatment. I would recommend low dose naltrexone, but that would mean you'd need to get off all the opioids, which probably isn't something you'd want to try out.

-Maija