Tuesday, July 04, 2006

acuteness

I have very sensitive hearing.

This has an interesting effect on my headaches.

When my head starts pulsating, and the pressure goes up, I can hear every tick of the clock in the living room and the one in the kitchen, too. I can hear the little squeaks in the motor of the ceiling fan. I can hear the timer on the dryer. If you add this to the constant tinnitus, which gets louder when my head hurts more, it's understandable how I don't want to be around anyone when I'm in pain. I hear way too much as it is.

I've always been hyper-sensitive when it came to sound. It was murder on my kids when they were little. I heard things they didn't think I could hear. They probably got in more trouble for it, too.

My sense of smell is acute, too. I'm not sure if it's multiple chemical sensitivity or if it's just an acute sense of smell, but sometimes the smells make me physically sick. It's one of the reasons I don't go to the mall on crowded days, and I tend to stay away from big churches and places where people might be who like to marinate in their aftershave or cologne/perfume/body splash. The intense smells, mostly floral and woodsy in fragrance origin, can give me violent diarrhea and nausea. Yeah, I know...it's a lot of fun.

My photosensitivity is getting worse, too. It's part of why I rarely open all the blinds in the house now. I can't stand all that light. It hurts my head.

I need an ultraviolet-filtering, quiet, non-smelly bubble over my home.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

That and a cure for my headaches is all I ask.

No comments: